(BRANDON HANSEN/Chewelah Independent)
Sonic didn’t take long to reach $100-million milestone…
Sonic the Hedgehog earned $70 million over the weekend to have the fourth-best President’s Day weekend open on record. This was largest opening weekend for a video game adaption in history, topping the recent hit “Pokemon Detective Pikachu.” It also earned $43 million overseas for a plus-$100 million gross on its first weekend.
This is after internet outrage when screenshots of a weird-looking Sonic hit the internet. Paramount changed the look of the beloved Sega mascot to a more traditional appearance for the hedgehog and it appears to have paid off.
Sonic knocked Birds of Prey from the top spot as the Harley Quinn-themed movie earned $19.51 million to bring it’s domestic total to $61.67 million. Internationally it earned $23 million and it’s up to $145 million total but the DC Universe film is looking like a disappointment overall. DC Comic films continue to see their grosses drop since a peak around the time of Batman vs. Superman.
Sony’s Fantasy Island opened at No. 3 with $12.4 million over the three day period and the movie also got terrible reviews. The Photograph opened at No. 4 for $13.39 domestically. At No. 5, Bad Boys for Life continues to have staying power, bringing in $11.3 million and has a domestic gross of $182 million and a total gross when international numbers are thrown in of $368 million. At No. 6, 1917 continues to gain eyes, bringing in $9.37 million which brings the domestic gross to $145 million. International grosses for the WWI film have boosted its total to $323 million
Will Ferrell’s Downhill flopped with the critics and its first week opening with a gross of $5.19 million, which is the lowest wide opening ever for a film starring Will Ferrell.
TOP TEN FILMS FOR FEB. 14-16
1.Sonic the Hedgehog – $70 million ($14 million total)
2. Birds of Prey – $19.51 million ($61.67 million total)
3. Fantasy Island – $14 million ($14 million total)
4. The Photograph – $13.39 million ($13.39 million total)
5. Bad Boys for Life – $12.82 million ($182.84 million total)
6. 1917 – $9.37 million ($145.69 million total)
7. Jumanji: The Next Level – $7 million ($307.01 million total)
8. Parasite – $6.65 million ($44.34 million total)
9. Dolittle – $6.31 million ($71.76 million total)
10. Downhill – $5.19 million ($5.19 million total)