Construction crane collapse in Seattle kills four
A construction crane crashed from a building onto a main Seattle street, killing four on Saturday afternoon. Two of those killed were ironworkers who had been inside the crane, while the other two were inside a car. Click here for the full story.
Expect delays south of Chewelah today due to guardrail repair
Alternating traffic with flaggers on US 395 in both directions at milepost 196 near Evergreen Drive for guardrail repair 10 miles south of Chewelah beginning at 8:36 a.m. on April 29, 2019 until 3 p.m. Expect delays.
Friends: we are in need of clean (rinsed out) two liter bottles with their caps for summer reading crafts. Please drop off at any library starting now until June 1 during business hours! Thank you for your help.
COLVILLE NATIONAL FOREST NEWS
When can you go camping in the forest?
When can we go camping?! Everyone wants to know. The short answer is: not yet. Each year, our staff works hard to make sure campgrounds are safe and ready to go by Memorial Day weekend, May 25. Crews are preparing to make the required annual inspections to check conditions of campground facilities and find hazard trees. A campground will not be opened until all hazards are taken care of and the site is safe for the public to use. Here’s what we know about conditions on the ground with more updates to come as we learn more:
• Sherman Pass is under about 3 feet or more of snow and conditions are ideal for spring skiing and snowshoeing. Sno-Park passes are required through April 30, visit https://bit.ly/2XJ0VHA
• The Kettle Crest parking area is still covered in snow and hiking is yet not available. Skis and snowshoes are still advised.
• Trout Lake still has snow and parking is difficult, but snow is melting fast
• Hoodoo Canyon Trail is not recommended for hiking at this time. A washout in both directions will keep the trail closed until further notice.
• All campgrounds are closed, even if they do not have a gate. Entering the area is not advised because heavy snow has caused many dangers, including debris, hazard trees, and extremely soft, muddy ground.
For details, call 509-684-7000 and stay safe out there!
Seahawks make 11 selections in NFL draft
The Seattle Seahawks had just four picks going into this year’s NFL Draft, but moves by John Schneider turned those into 11 by the time the draft wrapped up on Saturday. In the wheeling and dealing, some are thrilled at the future for the NFL Franchise. Click here for the full story.