Here is a look back in time with the Chewelah Independent archives…
110 Years Ago – October 7, 1910
Leurers have bonded their high grade gold, silver and lead property on Bear Mountain to Winslow and Wright on a 5-year bond of $15,000 payable in five annual payments. The property is located 10 miles north of Chewelah and is a promising proposition with values as high as $90 per ton.
Truax orchard, two miles west of Chewelah has apples for a penny a pound — bring your own sacks or boxes.
100 Years Ago – October 1, 1920
According to the U. S. Geological Survey, Stevens County produced a better quality of gold, silver, copper, and lead in 1919 than any other county in the state. Fifteen producers in Stevens County produced 69.37 fine ounces of gold; 156,562 fine ounces of silver; 1.1 million pounds of lead. The total value was $493,724,00
70 Years Ago – October 5, 1950
Chewelah’s first ultra modern motel will open to the public on Saturday when the Chewelah Motel (later called the 49er and now the Chewelah Motel and RV Park) will entertain its first customers. Bob Wuestoff, owner of the nine unit structure located on south Park Street just south of Minor Greenhouse, expects the first guests to register this weekend.
60 Years Ago – October 6, 1960
The newest business in town marked an historic event last Saturday as the Chewelah Tire Co. produced the first recapped tire ever produced in the county. Ray Reichenberg and Reginald (Bud) Wagner are partners in the new venture.
Barite is being mined at the Lynx Cats group of claims on Eagle Mountain, six miles east of Chewelah. The owners are Philip Skok, Ole Alm, Gordon La Vigne, and W. B. Moorehead.
50 Years Ago – October 1, 1970
Clinics to immunize children against Rubella were scheduled for Stevens County. Mrs. Bell Howard, City Health nurse, and the March of Dimes co-sponsor said that they hope to immunize every child between the ages of 1 and 12. The vaccinations will be given to all children who have the signed consent for from their parents.
40 Years Ago – October 2, 1980
The dental office of Bud Evans, now located in the Blackwood building above Valley Drug will close on October 3. According to Harriet Frizzel, “It will take a couple of weeks to move all the equipment to (the) new office at 616 East Main.” The office will not be open but the phone will be answered to make appointments and referrals for emergencies during the move.
30 Years Ago – October 4, 1990
The new 9-1-1 Emergency Service dispatch system is working well and the equipment is meeting the demand. Of interest to the public is that calls are “locked on” line, even if the caller hangs up, until the operator breaks the connection. And, any public phone booth can be used to call 9-1-1 without charge.
20 Years Ago – October 5, 2000
The new Valley School library was dedicated in honor of Helen Metlow who served as Valley School librarian for 20 years.