(By Staff Reports/Chewelah Independent)
A garage and a residence were a total loss, with another suffering major damage while several propane tanks exploded during a Sunday night (April 16) fire that caused an unofficial estimate of $250,000 in damage.
At 8:10 p.m. on Sunday night, Stevens County Fire District 1 responded to a garage fire. Upon getting to the scene the garage was fully involved and a nearby single-wide mobile home was partially involved with many vehicles in the driveway. The fire quickly spread to a second home, which was a summer residence.
Stevens County Fire District 1 was assisted by Stevens County Fire District 4 and Spokane Fire District 4. Deer Park Ambulance also responded and treated two firefighters for minor injuries.
The garage and single wide were a total loss, while the summer home suffered major damage. Another home north of the fire sustained minor damage to the exterior of its carport.
Four outbuildings were saved and received minor or no damage.
Power was cut to the neighborhood for about two hours so firefighters could maneuver around the properties. It was later restored by Avista crews.
The fire remains under investigation but is not suspicious.